Monday, December 24, 2018

Advent activities part 1



I'll probably start every advent post, every year the same - just that the advent calendar is my MOST favorite Christmas tradition/memory from growing up. And my kids seem to love it too so far. We didn't do it perfectly to my calendar that I had created and we missed a few days (and they didn't really notice...which I think as they get older I won't be able to skip as much). But - despite these not being PERFECTLY in order, here's some of the activities that were in our little presents each morning.

First up - Logan's birthday party! I love the flies swarming around the presents at EVERY party ever.




Greta was super shy and wouldn't hit the piñata at Clara's party - and she was the same at this party. But...after a few rounds she actually went up and did it herself! I was so proud :)

Harvey of course just is an animal and doesn't care and went crazy. Like normal. With most things. :)



Cutest little 3 year old!



Our annual trip to the clock shop. They love going and picking their things out but it's a long drive to just grab those and jump back in the car. We did stop and eat at Café Rio which helped.

Clockwise from top left, Harvey's, Greta's, Lottie's, mine, Tanner's.

MOVIE! We took Harvey and Greta to see the Grinch. This was Greta's first time in a theater and she was so cute. And she actually did really good. And we all really liked the new Grinch movie. I thought it was great. Funny, really cute, and just seemed to have more of the feel good moral stuff than the other one's. Heather and Austin came with too.


Greta's first dance recital. She was so excited to go. And looked so dang cute. I thought she'd be more nervous before and honestly wasn't even sure if she'd get out on stage or stay there. She's a shy one. But I was going to be pretty shocked if she actually danced once out there and seeing everyone looking at her (won't even do a piñata in front of family...remember?). So...when she did ABSOLUTELY nothing, it wasn't too big of a surprise. And it was pretty funny. She was the only kid that didn't move. But she stayed there and didn't cry. So that's something. And dance has been so fun for her and I honestly think it has helped her feel more confident and be a little braver and more outgoing. So it was in no way a fail. And we have funny pics and video to share with her in years to come. The whole group got up after to do a fun dance to one of all their favorite songs. Greta would NOT. She watched and said she did it in her dance class but not there. Haha. Maybe in the spring she'll be a little more brave. She says she's going to (I will still be surprised if she does!) But dang oh dang she is a cutie.















We did still celebrate with ice cream after :)


Ward Christmas party. I was really impressed with how this turned out. They had this fun little photo booth (thanks Morgan for holding up Lottie for us!)

And the decorations were really fun. Back in the back they had tables set up for coloring and had a movie playing for the kids. The food was store bought soup that people just warmed up for them in crock pots, and then bread bowls. Super tasty. They had a nice singing program and our bishopric did a funny medley of some songs and dance with costumes and stuff. It was hilarious. And Santa came. Harvey had his back to where he came in, cause he was coloring. When I told him to turn around, and when he saw him walk in, his eyes lit up, he got the biggest smile on his face and he blushed so big. Oh my gosh it was the coolest thing ever. Unfortunately there were about 10 million kids and we kind of were in line soon, but got butted in front of a bit and it was not a fast moving line. And Lottie was LOSING her mind. But there was no way I was going to get to leave before Harvey told Santa he wanted his imaginext shark boat...so we toughed it out. And got this cute picture, without Lottie, because she was laying on the floor screaming just outside the frame :)

So many Christmas birthdays! Noah turned 2 and we celebrated with a fun construction party. Greta was SO excited about his gift, hence the good idea for Santa, but then didn't seem too excited with her own. She never really fixated on anything she wanted. Once she just told me "toys" when I asked her what she wanted. I asked her what kind of toys - "all of dem!" Harvey told her she wanted a sailboat right before they sat on Santa's lap (above) and so that's kind of what she said ever since. She didn't get one of those and mentioned a sailboat a day or two after Christmas...kind of like she was disappointed, but didn't really say it exactly like that. So hopefully she's not too traumatized by not getting what she "wanted". Harvey's always good to help out with what other people want (aka what he might want too). Anyway - that was a tangent. Fun party for Logan.






Instead of doing cousin gift exchanges and other gifts with the Niederhausers - we did a couple sub for Santa families. We went to Target to have the kids help. They may have been a little young to help too much. They got preoccupied by stuff they thought was cool and Lottie is a ticking time bomb most of the time. But we got some fun stuff and I like trying to get the point across that our kids are very blessed and have a lot and it's important to think about giving more than getting. It hasn't quite stuck yet, but we'll keep working on it!


My mom had a Christmas Tree-o recital that she had Laura and I play in with her. We did a trio song that wasn't hard and it was short, but it was fun. The whole recital was really fun - all trio Christmas songs. And then a fun celebration at Leatherby's after. Tradition! Oh - and Harvey loved our waitress. I think her name was Felicity or something. He mentioned a few times that he liked her. And then a couple of days later he asked about her. He said he liked her again and I asked why. He said because she was so cute. And then he added that he "loved her with his whole heart!" Oh my heck. So funny. I need to go back and find her and tell her that.


Day one of Tanner's birthday celebration. The kids got to play at Gram and Pops. We went to an escape room. The other bro's were out of town so it was just us 6. It was a ton of fun! Way more fun and exciting than I expected and I've only ever heard good things about them. We didn't quite make it out. We were close though. So that part was a tiny bit painful but mostly it was just fun. Then lunch and cake at Rio Grand after!





2nd Sunday Supper at my parent's was our time to celebrate all the December birthdays. Yummy dinner and then gifts. My pictures are a little random. My mom got a pencil sharpener and some new glass measuring cups. We gave her a Christmas book and some Christmas cd's she wanted.



Tanner got this and an awesome blanket my mom made. My parents gave me some shirts and the Call the Midwife series! YES! I also got some mittens and a puzzle.


Actual birthday - crepes and pickleball paddle :)






Then we went and got sushi for dinner downtown. Long wait but soooo worth it. Man, we picked some delicious rolls!

Happy birthday, babe!

We grew up going to get scones and hot chocolate at Winder Dairy with the McDermott's every December. That was always in the advent rotation. I remember LOVING the honey butter and just eating it from the little bowl things. Gross. But also delicious. Ha. I want to start that tradition with our family. And luckily there's a great scone place really close to our house...Sill's. Greta didn't eat much but everyone else loved them.


A little gingerbread house making. I think next year I want to just try regular graham cracker houses. Sometimes these kits are more work than they are worth and the candy's are always so tiny. But the kids always have fun :)
Greta's, mine, Harvey's.

The first time I met Tanner's family we went on a hayride through the Layton City park with all the lights. I've wanted to do it the last couple of years but my schedule never worked out. I was off a night they were doing it so we went down and paid our dollars and rode down the street and through the park. It was a lot shorter than I remember. Haha. And kind of cold. But it was fun. But they wanted to walk through after so we could get closer to some of the cool light animals they had noticed. So we wandered. And it was fun. Until they got cold and Greta started throwing a fit and didn't want to walk and we had hot chocolates and Lottie all in arms. Ugh - the challenges of trying to do fun things with small people. Next year I think it might be better to just plan to walk through the lights. Free, and we'll plan for a stroller and blankets etc.









I hope or wish you can zoom in on Greta's face in this one and a couple one's down. Holy cow. It's just so cute.







No comments:

Post a Comment