Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Christmas

Christmas didn't really feel like Christmas this year.  It never really does when we're not around family, participating in all the usual traditions.  There was something to be said for not having to travel around that time and for things being a little less hectic.  It definitely can be crazy visiting home at that time of year.  And it was fun to just be me and Tanner - although it would have been a lot more fun if I didn't have to work.  I feel like that comes with the job territory and I'm happy to have worked then and New Years so I can more easily avoid it next year :)  So yeah - I had to work Christmas Eve and Day.  I got off a little early Christmas Eve and then didn't go in till 11 the next morning.  So first of all, we slept in! Then we did presents.  Man.  I needed to shower before so I could be ready for work but these pictures turned out down right scary.  Maybe it's the pregnant face.  Hard to tell.  Don't look too close :)
 Tanner likes to try and guess what the present is before he opens it.  I had him pretty fooled on a few this year :)  These are some trout flies for hopefully some summer fishing!



 Despite that face - he actually REALLY likes this shirt.  It's always scary picking out clothes for him but I don't think I did too shabby this year.  And we've had so many conversations about bison vs buffalo this year that when I saw this shirt it had to be.  Plus there's lots up here in Teddy Roosevelt National Park. 

 Awesome Ugg slippers from Clare and Berrie. 

 Wheat grinder from my parents.  My dad makes the most amazing whole wheat bread from freshly ground wheat and I've wanted to be able to do that too.  Plus there's tons of stuff you can grind so I need to read up and get grinding!
 That's a legitimate HAPPY face!  Tanner's been looking at the Art of Shaving stuff for awhile and my parents got him a set that probably was his favorite gift by far.  He's been loving it and his face gets so smooth - minus that small part above his upper lip.  It's crazy how much stuff there is for to shave - it really is an art and you could spend more on shaving paraphernalia than a house if you wanted to.  It's intense. 

 New little purse from my mom.  I'm excited about the wallet part.  It will fit great in a diaper bag so I don't have to be carrying around so many things. 

And my favorite gift!  Last year Tanner got me a regulator for scuba diving.  And now I have my own BC.  And it's sweet!  Can not wait to use it!  I feel like a legit diver - except I haven't been for far too long.  Baby making has put a damper on that - but not for long.  Hawaii dive trip is basically booked for June.  More on that in a few months ;)  Tanner is a sneaky and amazing gift giver.  I used to think I was but over the years I have disappointed the both of us.  Haha.  But really - he did awesome and always spoils me.  We got these also, a day later...
Amazing.  It is so fun to brush teeth now and I feel like I've just come out of the dentist every time - which is great because you get the good feeling without the crappy feeling of having to be at the dentists!
After fun presents - we ate the my family tradition of Aebleskiver's.  Little Danish round pancakes that are fun to cook and eat AND delicious! 

Breakfast was yummy but the morning ended way too fast.  Work was a lot busier than it should have been on a Christmas.  I got festive and Tanner was embarrassed for me.
What's wrong with that sweater? I think nothing :)  Then there was no shortage of food at work. 



Carb city.  Woah.  But yummy and good and not a bad work day.  I had desires of trying to make a fancy dinner but Christmas Eve and Day were ruined by work, so Tanner picked up the $26/lb hunk of meat a few days early for me and we had a nice dinner the Friday after Christmas.  I think it turned out better than I was expecting myself to do.  But I committed the one sin I had sworn I wouldn't do...over cooked the meat.  Just a smidge.  Tanner even bought me a meat thermometer to avoid said catastrophe - but I stuck it in a little too late.  Oh well.  It still tasted like awesome meat and overall I think it was yummy.  At that price, though - I won't be practicing again any time soon!

So those were basically our holidays.  We spent New Years Eve at some friends playing some games and eating food.  It was low key and fun and relaxing.  Just didn't take any pictures.  We are really looking forward to next year and the years after that when we get to have kids help make Christmas more magical again.  We are so blessed though, right now in our lives, and we try every day to remember that.  Even when it's -50 degrees.  But I suppose that's how we can keep Christmas special and such all the time.  Being grateful and kind and loving all the year long.  Hope we don't slack off any time soon!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a good Christmas even though you had to work!! Just wait for the years to come...Christmas with kids is magical! :)

    ReplyDelete