Well all weekend she had the cough and hit and miss seemed to be getting worse. Monday morning (March 14) I asked Tanner and my dad to give her a blessing because it was not a good night. During the day she seemed mostly ok and I thought we might be on the up and up. We dropped Tanner off at the airport late afternoon and by the evening she just seemed so much worse. Such a terrible cough and she'd have fits where she really seemed to struggle with breathing. I had told myself if she didn't seem better by that night I would taker her to the doctor. I had been having difficulties with my medical brain vs mom brain in if I needed to take her in or not. We decided to start at insta care. I sent a text to two of the docs I worked with and said what was going on and they both thought we should go to an ER. We were already checked in and waiting at the insta care. This is where I had my first meltdown. I almost wasn't even going to taker her in and then I was being told she needed to go to an ER. I was worried and felt like a horrible mom. My parents both suggested Primary Children's so we headed up that way. They go right to a triage place so we didn't have to wait at all at first or get registered. They checked her vitals and oxygen sats and took us right back and the nurse called some code word on her walkie talkie thing and 2 seconds later there were 15 people in the room taking her clothes off and hooking her to a bunch of different machines etc. Major meltdown number 2.
It. Was. Awful. Her sats were in the 80s. She was so sad. And mad. And so much mucousy gunk in her they had to keep suctioning. It was heartbreaking. I knew as soon as I saw her sats we wouldn't be leaving the hospital that night. The docs were great. They assumed it was viral and didn't do a chest X-ray or start IVs, etc. I was grateful for that. They ran a viral panel was all and she ended up being positive for RSV and rhinovirus. We had gotten to the ER about 9 and had to wait in there for awhile till they had the tests back and could get a room ready. They had been admitting respiratory issues in little kids like crazy so she was just joining the club.
My dad and sister and inlaws all came too which was just really nice. It made the day go by faster and the distractions helped me keep it together when I really didn't want to or think I could. She got put on high flow oxygen during the night cause she was retracting so bad. During the night and day there was some talk of her maybe needing NICU if she didn't do okay on that and also IVs potentially cause she really hadn't been eating that much. Luckily we were able to bypass all those. The high flow cords were kind of a pain but she did seem to breathe easier and the mucousy bubble spit up stuff seemed better too with it.
That second night was miserable. I was exhausted and she didn't sleep good at all. Was very discontented and wouldn't settle. Luckily eventually the nurses helped out, took a rectal temp and helped her poop. We got a few solid hours after that. My friend Nikki, who we met in Williston, came to visit that morning. Again awesome to have the company. The docs were pleased with how she was doing. That second night they took her off the high flow oxygen and she was weaning off the O2 really great. They decided we could go home on oxygen. So we got all that set up and my parents came with Harvey to pick us up.
I'll try to wrap this up. Haha. We had an appointment for follow up that Friday (we left on a Wednesday). I was hoping she was gonna get off it then. But nope bdays still too low. It took two more visits (one the next Tuesday and one Friday the 25th) before her sats were good enough the doc felt like we could taker her off. It was obnoxious. Hard to help Harvey or do anything with her tethered to the wall. She had a cough still pretty bad all the way up until Wednesday/Thursday or this last week. It was just another hard week. Harv ended up with some new sickness and a fever for a couple days on top of it. Ugh. I slept on the couch every night since the condenser home health brought was hooked up upstairs. We had several really difficult nights with me being so so so tired, her not sleeping good, and Harvey having a few issues in the middle of the night of all inconvenient nights. Tanner made it back in time to go to the Friday appt to hear the good news. He's the good luck charm. He leaves, she goes to the hospital, he comes back, she gets off O2. I think he might not ever be able to leave again! We are so so grateful she is healthy and good again. It sucks that the first month of her life she was sick but grateful for her healthy-ness now! Here's a few plus pics of her modeling a nasal cannula.