Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Some thoughts

I have a lot of thoughts fluttering through my brain right now and I hope I can straighten them out how I want on here. I just got back from a run that I almost didn't do because I've just been in a funk the last 2 days. Today was rough for no particular reason and I worked the last couple 3 nights and am tired. So I basically had pj's on and then something switched a little and I decided to reach for my running clothes instead and went. And it was awesome. It felt SO much better than I thought it was going to (I ate really poorly today so my stomach was a bit off) and it was just exactly what my mind, body and soul needed! So anyway - before I digress too much, as I was running I was just thinking. I have been contemplating changing or augmenting how I do things here on the blog for a little while. I'm not a super outwardy churchy person on social media or even in person with people that aren't really close to me and I keep the spiritual side of things to a minimum even here. But for a couple reasons, I kind of want to change that. I got to go to Stake Conference a month or so ago sans kids, which meant I actually listened to and learned from the talks :) There was some talk of temple work etc and my thought then, which I've had before, is that blogging is my family history/temple work - maybe a stretch - but it is my family history and I love doing it and I really think and hope that my kids and grandkids will enjoy coming here and seeing pictures and reading stories about our lives. That being said, I want them to know that I actually am a spiritual person and have a lot of faith (or at least try to) and that I believe in God and the gospel and that it's extremely important to me. I always write on this blog like it's for the masses and that it's this big popular gathering place - when in reality there might be 4 or less people that consistently read stuff here. I think it's more important that I write it more as a journal so I can feel safe writing my thoughts and testimony more. And so that my kids and grandkids hopefully can get more out of it than just some fun/funny pictures :)  So, that's my thought. Not all the time, but when I feel like I should and want to :) How's that?
And as I was running, and my mood was elevating, I think I'll document some of the positive. Despite eating like crap and probably being a little more impatient with kids than I should have and maybe letting them watch a little bit too much ipad (while I napped) - I did run around outside with them and play "ninjago" with Harvey for awhile and even fell and rolled around on the grass. We had FHE about Easter and slowly Harvey is learning things about the gospel and I hope with all my heart and soul that a little testimony is budding and a love for the Savior is beginning. We had family prayer - which is very sporadic at best (still gonna keep working on that and maybe by the end of the year that goal will actually be real life).  And I ended with a run and don't feel as gross. My sister keeps telling me to be nicer to myself and not be so hard on me for my shortcomings on eating and exercising goals. I need to be better about that. And also - one final thought - I was reading some conference talks recently and something really stuck out to me from Elder Bednar's talk in October 2017.
"One of the great challenges each of us faces every day is to not allow the concerns of this world to so dominate our time and energy that we neglect the eternal things that matter most. We can be too easily diverted from remembering and focusing upon essential spiritual priorities because of our many responsibilities and busy schedules. Sometimes we try to run so fast that we may forget where we are going and why we are running."

I love it. Why am I running? In the spirit of training for a half marathon, haha. this kind of stuck out to me and I've really been trying to think of it and how I can simplify or at least make sure I'm focusing on the most important things and remembering what IS most important and keeping more of an eternal perspective.

1 comment: