Sunday, August 30, 2020

20 year anniversary

Okay. This trip was dreamy beyond measure.  Brooke and I met 20 years ago at Utah State and have been friends for almost exactly that long. We decided it was high time we treated ourselves to our own little getaway. The original plan was to go to Olympic National Park for a week but then Covid happened and it kind of derailed our plans. So we decided we still needed to make a little something happen so we ended up just going to Tanner's Flat for a couple of nights. It was heaven. Pure heaven. The weather was impeccable. I love that campground. We got to go for a hike with no time constraints. And no whining. We talked and talked and talked and laughed and talked. We laid in hammocks and slept in and read books and ate the best food and enjoyed lengthy sits by the fire. Perfection is the best little nutshell I can describe it in. My soul needed Brooke time, mountain time and me time. It seriously was so rejuvenating and was the turning point for me and the mental, etc funk that I had been in for awhile. Bless it all.

I got up there a few hours before Brooke and got camp all set up. Spent some time in the hammock and by the river reading. 

This was a great read and good for me on a lot of levels. 


Delicious hobo dinners except I didn't apparently have enough coals and they cooled off quick and my food wasn't cooking so we started a fire and then it cooked and it was yum and fire sitting is always awesome. 

Foil packet peach cobbler. Which was good but needed a titch more...sugar I think :) It was pretty amazing with whipped cream on top!
We talked way into the night and woke up late and had a super late breakfast. It was SO nice not having little people dictating our schedule. Although, of course, we missed kids too and knew how much they would have loved being up there. But mostly it was just nice ;) 
We decided to hike to Red Pine Lake. That used to be one of my favorite hikes when I was going a lot more when I lived in Salt Lake. It was so gorgeous. Pretty steep and hard, which I remembered it being but actually doing it again it was eye opening. Haha. 


We made it! Hallelujah. 


This is (one of) the best parts about hiking with Brooke. We know how to refuel. Haha. We basked in the sun by the lake and ate ALLL the yummy things. We stayed there for at least an hour. 







And this view was waiting for us soon after we started heading down. I love these pictures so much. That's why I made them even bigger :) 



More delicious food and fire. 
Dessert number two was on Brooke - little sugar cones filled with any combo of pb, banana, chocolate chips, nutella, strawberries, peach, marshmellows, etc etc. Holy. That's the only way I want to eat "s'mores" now!!
We slept in again and lazily got ready and ate breakfast. Then we had to take down camp. More talking and hammock and river time. Squeezing in the last drops till we absolutely had to leave. 

 I think this needs to be a yearly tradition. Not every 20! I love you Brooky.

No comments:

Post a Comment